Shin Splints



OW! Shin splints hurt. Badly. They also make it impossible to be mobile. As my ankle healed, I wanted to run. Plus the weather outside was getting nicer. I'm home during the day and should take advantage of this. However, I couldn't even get around the block without being in pain. I would end up hobbling home. Even if I walked and slowed down my pace! They still came, both legs, I could predict it. I would try to do 1 mile to 2-2 and half miles. "No way!" my shins screamed. In the past, I gladly used this as an excuse to say, "I'm simply not a runner", despite always wanting to at least complete a 5k. It was disheartening. This time around, I was determined to not make this the case again. I needed to change my mindset and my routine. Something had to give and this time, I wasn't going to stop running.

So, what did I do? I went to the one person in my life that have been running her whole lives. My sister, Jackie, who has been running since she was about 12. If she wasn't a vet, she would have been a personal trainer. Jackie has run 5K, 10K and half marathons. I do believe she is working her way up to a marathon. 

Jackie's response was, several types different stretches specifically for the shins, take an anti inflammatory after running, ice after each run, alternate days and get new sneakers. (Keep in mind, she also went to a sports doctor for her knees to help with her running).

Off i went armed with my new information. The only thing I hadn't done yet was get new sneakers. Needless to say, everything did NOT work . Maybe I should have gotten the sneakers first. I finally retrieved my old sneakers from my moms house and holy mackerel! what a difference. I could walk, I could run, no PAIN!!!!!! Being that I just got the shoes back a few days ago, I haven't really developed a routine. I'm excited. I will however be continuing what Jackie  told me.

Off I go to run. I'll update you in a month or so to let you know how this all works out for me.

can't wait until summer!!
"My life is like a stroll on the beach...as near to the edge as I can go."
Thoreau

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya