Wednesday, March 13, 2013
I definitely enjoy certain foods now that I used to shy away from. I either A. thought it was too healthy, b. thought it was gross or c. I just plain old didn't know how to cook it. As I've embarked on this clean eating lifestyle, everything has changed. My taste palates have changed, my idea of what's healthy and tasty has changed and my confidence in the kitchen has grown. I eat and cook foods now that I never would have done a few years ago. I wouldn't have thought twice about buying Pillsbury cookies or having frozen dinners in my house as quick meal. Now, I much rather put in the work and have fresh homemade food. It's tastier, healthier and I can control what goes in my mouth. I can't go back to my old eating habits, even if I tried. Knowing what I know about where my food comes from has been the biggest game changer for me. It has helped bring me to this point in my life where I can honestly say I am the happiest I've ever been with myself and my life, almost twenty nine years later. It has been truly something that I have wanted for myself for a very long time. Feeling good about what I put in my body has made an impact on my physical and mental health. There is a story that most people don't know about me that I'm not quite ready to share. I will sit down and write a long post about it and how I overcame some of the most difficult obstacles in my life. Please be patient with me for that post.
On that note, I had spaghetti squash, eggplant, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and onion in my house over the weekend. What's a girl to do with all of that? Made spaghetti and eggplant sauce! It was SOOO good. The only two things that I am made about was A. I can't post any pictures on my blog at this point. This is due to needing an adapter to upload my pictures to my computer. B. It was gone within a few days since it was SO good. I wanted more!
What I love about this recipe is that it's healthy and tasty. It reminds me of plain regular spaghetti and sauce that I used to eat all the time. This meal is easy to make within forty minutes with simple ingredients. I like that it is vegetarian meal. I also love the fact that all of the ingredients are really cheap to buy in the store. Without further ado, here is the delicious recipe!
Spaghetti Squash with Eggplant Sauce
1 Spaghetti Squash
1/2 Red Onion
1 Jar Crushed Tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. In a roasting pan, place the squash on a rack. Pour water on the bottom of the pan so it is there is an inch of water. Roast squash until tender, about 30-35 minutes.
2. In the meantime, in a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, place diced onion in pan. Sautee until onions are slightly soft.
3. After onions are soften, put eggplant in pan. Sautee until eggplant starts to soften.
4. Pour jar of crushed tomatoes and two tablespoons of tomato paste in pan. Stir. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Add parsley. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soften.
5. Once squash has finished roasting, pull out and let cool for a few minutes. Then you will take a large fork and pull the squash out. It will look like spaghetti.
6. Once squash is out of it's shell, combine the sauce with the squash.
7. Add parsley over the spaghetti squash with eggplant sauce and serve.