Guidelines on Real Food



Real Food according to Michael Pollen are "whole foods that are more a product of nature vs. a product of industry". Two things really struck me as I read "In Defense of Real Food". One, my grandparents wouldn't recognize the majority of the food that is in the supermarket these days and two food these days are now designed not to rot. What did that mean for my body then?? After reading this book along with Food Inc, how could I justify eating the way I did. So off I went to change my eating habits. Folllowing the guidelines below REALLY helped me figure out where to start my foodshopping.

The following is my guideline that I use when food shopping. (The ideas come from http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/ and Michael Pollen's book "In Defense of Real Food")



Look for:




1. Dairy Products are limited to milk, unsweetened yogurt, eggs and cheese. Milk is preferably to be local and no hormones added. Only use blocks of cheese as shredded cheese has anti-caking agents and colored cheese has colored dye.




2. 100% whole wheat and whole grains




3. Wild caught seafood




4. Locally grown meats. 100% grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics injected. free range




5. Beverages limited to water, milk, natural juice, natural sweetened coffee/tea and wine.




6. Fruit and vegetables are to be local and organic if possible. If you are really stuck, follow the dirty dozen.







Avoid:




1. Refined sweeteners. Raw Honey and 100% maple syrup are accepted. These sweeteners are not processed and are in their pure form.




2. Fast food.




3. Any labels containing more then 5 ingredients. Or any label with ingredients you don't recognize.




4. Junk Food. A quote by Michael Pollen, "eat all the junk food you want, as long as you make it yourself."







Surfing is the most blissful experience you can have on this planet, a taste of heaven (John McCarthy).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya