Sweet Potato Fries



I have a ton of sweet potatoes in my apartment again! I had every intention of making them this weekend so that I could have them throughout the week. Plus I wanted the measurements for you. However, I've been at my mom's house since Saturday helping with Christmas stuff and her puppies. I also had my staff holiday party on Saturday night! I'm still at her house! However, I really want to post this recipe so I'm just going to post it. :) Later this week I'll make the recipe. Then I will edit the measurements and post the picture of the potatoes. At least for now, you will have the ingredients. It's all really to taste anyway. Anyway, on to the post!

First thing first, they DO NOT taste anything like the sweet potato fries one would order at a restaurant. They are not fried for one. They are baked. I got the idea the last time I received way too many sweet potatoes in my CSA. One can only eat baked sweet potato for so long before they get bored. Only thing was, I just threw together some spices hoping it would taste good. I also wanted to try using turmeric on some of my food since it has a lot of great benefits for you. Good thing for me, it came out delicious. Bad thing was, I didn't measure or write it down exactly what I used.

Turmeric is good for many reasons. It aids in digestion and detoxification. Turmeric helps reduce gas and bloating. It's been known to reduce blood sugar and cholesterol. Turmeric is also a natural anti-inflammatory and can help with arthritis. (http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-turmeric.html is the main source I referenced. I also read several other articles and books that indicated similar information about turmeric. In fact a lot of spices and herbs do provide health benefits. That's why there's the great saying by Hippocrates, let health be thy food. I feel that we are only just beginning to really understand the importance of flavoring our foods. Does anyone experiment with flavors? Any specific reason you use that spice or herb? Is it just pure flavor or is there a health reason? I'd be interested to know!


Sweet Potato Fries

Olive Oil

Sweet Potato

Cinnamon

Turmeric

Nutmeg

Ginger



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Chop up the sweet potatoes in any size you like. (I don't peel my sweet potatoes because who has the time to do all of that! They are also bigger then your typical fry in the restaurant. :) Hey, what can I say, a girl likes her potatoes! Just make sure whatever size you do cut the potatoes, they are all uniform in size otherwise they will not cook evenly)

3. Cover the potatoes in olive oil

4. Throw the potatoes in bowl with the dry ingredients and cover

5. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Depending on how strong your oven is. (Mine is not a great stove so I need longer sometimes). You can taste the tenderness by sticking a toothpick in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya