Firehouse Turkey Chili

Sometimes I love the cold weather and other times I do not. Cold weather involves tons of warm hearty meals such as chili, stew, lasagna, pastas, all things that I do not usually cook a lot during warm weather. Also, all things I avoided last year because I was such a newbie in clean eating. These were all traditional meals that I had growing up and made once I went off on my own. I was terrified of changing some of them due to losing the taste. There is A LOT to change in some of these recipes. This fall/winter, I plan on tackling them. I will also be introducing a lot of new recipes as well. I hope to share with you as the season progresses.

This recipe I am about to share is a recipe I have used for more then 5-6 years since it came out. I read it in Shape magazine, specifically the "Make over your body in 21 days" issue. (You can locate the original recipe on the Shape website.) Since then I have made some modifications to it. I use fresh ingredients instead of canned. It is still yummy and tasty if not better. This is my go to chili. Quick, simple and tasty. Does anyone have a favorite chili recipe? Please share in the comment section below.



Firehouse Turkey Chili - (Adapted from Shape magazine) Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large garlic clove, smashed

1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided

1/2 lb ground turkey

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 28 oz crushed tomatoes. (I also use 7-8 fresh tomatoes crushed when in season)

1 15 oz of kidney beans. (You can also use the can - I use fresh and I soak them the night before)

1 medium red pepper - diced

1 cup diced carrot

pinch of salt

sour cream



Directions:

1. Prep all ingredients in separate dishes

2. In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot. Toss in garlic and all but 2 tablespoons scallion and cook, Stir frequently for 1 minute

3. Add turkey and continue to cook, break up the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until turkey is browned

4. Stir in chili powder and cook for 1 minute

5. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, bell peppers, carrots and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

6. Divide among four bowls and garnish with the remaining scallions. Top with sour cream if desired.




**I do not have a picture of this recipe on hand. Next time I make it, I'll post a picture. Trust me on this recipe. It's good! My mother requests it all the time.


live for the moment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya