Sauteed Chicken and Radishes with Mustard and Tarragon

Sometimes when anyone tries a new recipe, there are hits and misses. If the miss is from a cookbook, the reasons could be a. you didn't follow the recipe correctly or b. you just don't like the taste. If the miss is from you creating a recipe on your own, it most likely is because the flavors you brought together did not work out or the new technique of cooking did not work out. The more experienced of a chef you are, the more you know how to bring the flavors together or how to subsitute flavors in a recipe successfully.

I usually don't like to play around with a recipe until I've tried it at least once with exact ingredients and directions. Lately I've been playing around with recipes without even trying the original recipe. I wasn't a bad chef before but I typically cooked the ingredients I knew and the recipes I knew. Now I've branched out to new ingredients and new recipes. My confidence has grown in the kitchen. A lot of that is due to changing how and what I eat. I simply couldn't cook what I used to with a healthy conscience knowing what I know now. I no longer cook with white flour, white sugar, brown sugar, or canola oil. The list goes on. I now cook with coconut oil, honey and other subsitutes. What I knew previously in the kitchen, no longer worked. Definitely nervewracking but it is doable. You just have to keep trying and remember, some meals are hits and some are misses. Some just need to be tweeked more and others need to be thrown out for good.

With that said, I had radishes from the CSA I picked up two weeks ago. I don't like radishes in my salad and never really knew what else to do with it. Off I went to find a recipe to make the radishes with. I found this recipe and wanted to try it right away. I knew I had most of the ingredients. I needed to tweek it a bit though in the beginning. I hoped that it came out good especially since I never made it before. I'm proud to say, it came out delicious! Without further ado, I present:




Sauteed Chicken and Radishes with Mustard and Tarragon (Bon Appetit April 2011)

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts (preferably boneless

kosher salt

2 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 1/4 cup chicken broth

4 teaspoons Dijon mustard ( I like a lot of mustard)

2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon (I added more as I went)

2 bunches of radishes and stems (I used bok choy for the greens instead of the stems this time)

fresh tarragon for garnish




Directions:


1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Transfer chicken to plate; cover to keep warm. Add onion to same skillet; stir over medium-high heat 1 minute. add chicken broth to skillet; bring to boil. Whisk in mustard and chopped tarragon; boil until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon lightly and is reduced to scant 1/2 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in 1/2 tablespoon butter; set aside.






2. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add radishes; sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper; cook without stirring until radishes begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Continue to cook radishes until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes longer.




3. Cut chicken breast halves crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; arrange on platter. Place radishes around and over chicken. Spoon sauce over chicken and radishes. Garnish with tarragon sprigs and serve.









You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf (Jon Kabat-Zinn)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya