MIA gall bladder (and recipe as promised)

          It's official, my stomach does not like me. :(  I've been doing some research on diets without gall bladders.  Surprisingly, there is none! A few guidelines here and there.  The doctors lied.  They all said that one could eat a normal diet after a month or so after the surgery.  They fail to realize just how much the gall bladder really does aid in digestion.  My liver is now doing all the work. I am heading the in the right direction.  The few guidelines out there do require that one eats a "real food diet" which I mean, no preservatives, processed food, and etc.  However, I now have to eliminate food from my diet. This includes, caffeine,oranges, grapefruits, minimal dairy, minimal chicken, turkey and red meat.  I also have to eat small frequent meals.   So bear with me as I go along this journey as well.  I not only have to eliminate food but change how I eat as well.  Wish me luck. 
       Anyway, last week I posted my dinner recipe. It was three different things, homemade mashed potatoes, fried okra and sage-pesto rubbed roast chicken.  The last two things were new in the household.  I received thumbs up from Chris and noted the recipes down in my "real food" cookbook.  I received questions on how to cook it and promised I would post it up on my blog.  Here you go!

Sage-Pesto Rubbed Roast Chicken (The Best of Cooking Light, Everyday Favorites)

Pesto:

 1/3 cup of chopped fresh parsley
 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
 1/3 cup of chicken broth
 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 3 garlic cloves, peeled

Chicken:

 1 (7lb) roasting chicken
 cooking spray (I use olive oil pump)
 sage sprigs (optional)
 parsley springs (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. To prepare pesto, combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor.  process until smooth.
3. To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Once chicken is rinsed and dried, slowly loosen skin from the meat.  Rub the pesto between the skin and meat.  Also rub the pest on top skin. Place chicken on broiler with breast side up.
4. Bake chicken for 30 minutes
5. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees without removing chicken from the oven. Bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 165 degrees.  Let stand 10 minutes then serve.



Fried Okra (Deliciously Organic Cookbook)

 4 cups of fresk okra, cut into 1/2 inch rounds, ends discarded
 1 medium yellow onion, minced
 1/2 cup medium to find ground cornmeal
 2 teaspoons of salt
 4 tablespoons coconute oil

Toss okra, onion, cornmeal, and salt together in large boil.  Heat large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.  Add coconut oil to pan, swirling to coat. Pour okra mixture over skillet and stir every few minutes, for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. (I had to add more oil as I went along to keep frying)



“Not to sound too deep or weird, but I think that the times when you really appreciate surfing are the times you're really sort of becoming one with nature. Surfing's as raw of a sport as it gets.”Kelly Slater

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya