Chicken with Roasted Apples and Garlic

            I genuinely love cooking seasonal recipes.  It forces me to change up my diet.  I'm eating things I would not have eaten when I was little despite how Mom made them.  (Sorry Mom for being so picky!)  Now as a grown up, I love root vegetables like turnips and parsnips. Who would have thought? I actually like kale and mashed cauliflower.  These are all things I would not have dared to go near when I was little. The fall and winter call for root vegetables.  It calls for warm and hearty meals.  I grew up eating pasta during the winter.  Since I'm unable to eat pasta constantly due to being gluten free, I turned to other recipes that would give me the same type satisfaction. I'm now making recipes that I would have turned my nose up before I turned my diet around.  Now I wonder how I ever went without ever trying these types of food.
       When people think of fall, they automatically think of apples or pumpkin.  Usually the first recipe that comes to mind is apple pie or pumpkin pie.  Many people also think fall is here when Starbucks finally brings back their infamous pumpkin spice latte.  People on Long Island tend to go out east and go apple picking or pumpkin picking, depending on the month.  A few weeks ago, I got to go apple picking with my family. It truly was a wonderful time.  I made memories with them that I will never forget and always treasure.  We came home with 98 apples!!! What were we supposed to do with all of that????  (No we didn't count while we were there!! We counted after we cleaned them up at home!) 
        We scoured my cookbooks and Pinterest.  We decided on the following four recipes. We made Chicken with Roasted Apples and Garlic, Spiced Apple Fudge, Apple Pie and Apple Oatmeal Cookies.  We still had plenty of apples left over.  My favorite was the chicken! SO good, so tender so juicy!   
        The recipe fits all my criteria for eating, gluten-free and clean.  Nothing was processed or made with chemicals.  It was all 100% real food plus it was seasonal! The apples were local too which is my favorite kind of food to cook with.  Those components are what makes up my favorite kind of recipes.  It always tastes so much better then anything that comes out of a box.  SCORE!!    
       That night after a fun filled day out east, we made the chicken with butternut squash soup.  We also made broccoli and garlic on the side.  It was a great meal and everything was eaten with very little leftovers. 
        This particular recipe came from my one of my favorite cookbooks, "Cooking Light, Cooking Through the Seasons".   I adore this cookbook! It truly helps with inspirational cooking. It has clean recipes that I can use right away. I play around with other recipes adapt to make it clean and gluten-free.  Anyway, I had doubled the recipe as I needed to feed more people then the recipe called for.  I'm going to to put what I used.  Feel free to halve it or make adaptions.  

Chicken with Roasted Apples and Garlic:
10 cups chopped peeled apples
2 teaspoons fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
cooking spray (I have a pump that allows me to use olive oil as a spray)
4 lbs chicken
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
chopped fresh parsley


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees
2. Combine first 5 ingredients.  Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Toss well to coat.  Spread apple mixture on jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
3.  Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.  Arrange on top of the apple mixture.  Bake at 475 for 25 minutes or chicken is done and apple is tender.  Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm. 
4.  Partially mash the apple mixture with a potato masher.  Serve with the chicken.  Sprinkle with parsley if desired.  


Believe me when I tell you this was SO good.  It didn't need any adaptions from the original recipe.  Two teenagers, pre-teen and three adults LOVED IT!.  The teenagers actually requested for it to be made again.  


Side note: If you scroll through my Instagram, you will be able to see pictures from this meal through my phone. If you aren't following me on there, go follow! It's under organicsurfergirl!  http://instagram.com/organicsurfergirl  I have yet to figure out how to get pictures on my new computer. :(   Please forgive me for not having pictures on the blog at this time! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya