Colds and Sore Throats



I've been sick the past few days. I even had to call in sick for work which I do not like to do. I simply do not have time to be sick! *note to whoever got me sick, I'm very mad at you! Although I honestly think it is the constant in and out of the cold weather at my morning job that is doing me in. It does wear on the body after awhile.

So the past few days I've had a sore throat, cough, congestion and a fever. I don't really like taking medication because if I don't fill my body up with artificial coloring and chemicals. If I avoid that kind of stuff when I'm healthy then why would I do it when I'm sick? My eventual goal for 2013 is to have alternative medicine in my medicine cabinet instead of your typical Nyquil arsenal. Have you seen the ingredient list for that? It's full of food coloring and chemicals. I wish I saved the last bottle so I could list the ingredients for you. If you look it up online, it just lists the active ingredients. Not all the other chemicals in it, blah! Check it out next time you are in the store or even if it's in your medicine cabinet now. Don't say I didn't tell you so. I should let you know I'm not anti modern medication. There is a place and time for it. If you are truly sick and no alternative medication is helping, get yourself to a doctor or the hospital.

I just wanted to list a few things that I found that really actually helped me over the past few days. It reduced my symptoms greatly and I got to avoid going to the doctor! It was quick stuff I was able to grab and make over the weekend. I'm curious to hear what my readers also do when they are sick. I know there's a lot more but here are the things that I did this weekend.




1. I drank warm water with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. It helps with congestion. It helps drains the sinuses after a cold has set in. Apple cider vinegar has many different health benefits. This is just one of them.

2. STEAM! We all remember mom telling us to have the humidifier (thanks mom for buying me one!) That and a hot bath. It helps clears the sinuses. Ever wonder why anytime you eat something hot or take a hot shower, your nose starts to drip? That's why.

3. 1 tablespoon of honey and some cinnamon mixed up for 3 days. Both contain anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti viral properties. This helps knock out the colds right away.

4. Gargle warm salt water. It helps relieve the pain in the throat for a short while. (I know it helped reduce my pain greatly!)

5. Chicken Soup. I had made some the other week in my slow cooker overnight when I had a sore throat. It made me feel SO much better. I did the same thing this weekend. I threw in some carrots, celery, chicken and homemade chicken stock. There's a reason mama's chicken soup always did the trick. It helps the immune system with the inflammation and it also helps clears the mucus up.





These are some of the things I had done this past weekend. What are some of your tricks to get yourself back on the mend? I'd love to hear.



P.S Also thinking of changing the colors of my layouts so it is easier to read, thoughts?





sources:

http://blog.integrativenutrition.com/2013/02/7-natural-cold-remedies-to-help-you-survive-winter

http://fatalfacts.com/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F1308-facts-on-honey-and-cinnamon-it-is-found-that-a-mixture-of-honey-and-cinnamon-cures-most-diseases%2F

http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2010/09/honey-and-cinnamon-a-simple-cold-home-remedy-that-kids-love.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-remedies/ID00036

Where I find peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya