Butternut squash soup

The fall is here!! I love the fall, I love all things pumpkin and apple, such as apple cider and pumpkin muffins. Around this time last year, I had just started my journey on clean eating. This time around, I'm starting my journey of gluten free clean eating. Over the past few months, I have discovered that I have a gluten sensitivity. This explains the headaches, the breakouts, etc. I feel SO much better when I'm gluten free. It's a bit easier going gluten free when you already make so many things from scratch. However, I am also discovering that simple ingredients contain wheat, like soy sauce. (That explains why I bloat up like a pufferfish after I have sushi) I am also discovering that a lot of gluten free items and/or recipes contain ingredients that are not included in my clean eating lifestyle. That makes things a bit more difficult. So off I go to revamp my cooking methods, mostly the baking. I am in the process of testing out gluten free baking flour (I've made my own) among other recipes.

For the past few weeks, I have been working on a gluten free pumpkin pancake recipe. The first few batches came out horrible!!! The most recent batch, came out looking like a pancake but the flavor was a little off. I'm still experimenting. This explains why the blog hasn't been updated. I'm really not comfortable with giving out a recipe to my readers that does not have great flavor. I feel that clean gluten free eating should not require me to sacifrice taste. It doesn't! You just have to let go of old expectations and be willing to try new things. When I finalize the recipe, I'll post it.

In the meantime, I have brought out my old fall recipes. Some needed tiny changes and others needed none. I'll be posting these in the meantime. Last night for dinner was flank steak with olive-oil herb rub, sweet potato fries, string beans with lemon-hazelnut butter and butternut squash soup. YUM. I had gotten all the vegetables in my CSA. I love my CSA. It forces me to cook different recipes all time. Meal time is never the same and most certainly is not boring. I've made the steak and the soup before. So needless to say when I got a butternut squash and some carrots in my CSA last week, I was thrilled. I could make my butternut squash soup again!! I love this soup, my family loves this soup. I could eat this soup all the time which is ironic because when I was younger, I was not fond of butternut squash. Maybe I just needed to find the right recipe. I discovered this recipe several years ago while watching the cooking channel. The recipe is straight out of the Giada at Home cookbook. Enjoy!




Butternut Squash Soup (Giada at Home Cookbook)

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 med. onion, chopped

1 med carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 1/2 lbs butter nut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch pieces

6 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped fresh sage leaves

salt and freshly ground pepper




Directions

1. In pot, melt butter and olive oil together over med high heat

2. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

3. Add garlic and cook until aromatic (about 30 secs.)

4. Add squash and chicken stock, bring to a boil.

5. Once mixture is boiling, add sage. Let boil for 20 minutes

6. Turn off heat, season with salt and pepper to taste as you blend the ingredients together. (I use my immersion blender which is perfect for soups like this)

7. Once soup is blended, it will be thick and creamy. Serve immediately.













On a side note, went to the beach the other day and saw para-surfers!! I SO want to try that. Has anyone tried? What are your thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya