Spaghetti and Squash

Wondering what to do with all that summer squash in your garden? Tired of grilling vegetables the same old boring way? Here's a quick recipe to incorporate the squash in your everyday dinner. It's also a good way to get squash into your children's tummies without them noticing that there's vegetables in their pasta! The reason I say this is because this recipe is actually from my mother's kitchen. She made it frequently while I was growing up and I loved it. I still do. So channeling my mother, I made her spaghetti and squash recipe last weekend. It was a perfect way to incorporate all the squash I got from that week's CSA.


Spaghetti and Squash

1 onion diced

olive oil

7 summer squash, peeled and quartered.

(Mom uses green squash, I used yellow in this picture, it doesn't make a difference)

1 can of tomato sauce (or just crushed tomatoes)

Parmesan cheese to taste

salt to taste

pepper to taste

1 lb thin spaghetti (100% whole wheat) cooked

3 tablespoons water




Directions:

1. peel and quarter squash

2. saute onion in olive oil until very soft

3. Add squash, tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons of water along with salt, pepper and cheese to taste

4. Cook squash mixture for 30 minutes

5. Make pasta while squash is cooking

6. Mix pasta and squash together.









"Sliding a wave removes our brains out of the ordinary and slips us into the extra ordinary of being there now. No more worries about mortgages or strife of being poor or rich. When you enter the domain of an ocean cylinder, that moment, those split seconds belong to the Zen part of just being. Period." - Bill Hamilton - surfer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya