Health Complications.



Whoops, I apologize to everyone for the month and half gap in postings. Things have been a little crazy over here in my corner of the world. I got a physical which I will discuss below the results and I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I was on crutches and I still technically should be. It hurts after walking around or if I move around too much. :( So my mobility is a bit limited at this point.

So I finally got a physical which was completed with blood work. Everything came back beautiful. My cholesterol and blood pressure were wonderful. The only thing that was low was my vitamin D. I didn't realize until I researched side effects of low vitamin D, just how important it is. Here are some side effects:

1. achy muscles/bone pain

2. fatigue

3. low immune system

4. depression

5. poor cognitive memory

6. increased weight gain (it regulates a hormone that controls how you gain fat)

7. at risk for cancer

8. at risk for diabetes

Needless to say, I was not very happy. My doctor recommended I take vitamin d supplement twice a day. (I have done so) I researched different ways that I could increase these levels through my diet. I was full of questions, what was I not eating enough of, in what way should I change my diet. When we think of vitamin D, we think of sun. While yes, that is the best way to get vitamin D, you would need to lay out in the sun for a significant amount of time with the majority of your skin exposed. Apparently vitamin D can be found in fish, eggs, and fortified milk. I haven't really eaten much fish since my boyfriend moved in since he is not a big fan of fish. I have increased eating eggs with veggies in the morning though.

I have noticed a bit of a difference in taking the vitamins and maintaining my clean eating ways. On that note, I do feel I should make a confession to my readers.

I did not eat 100% clean in the past month or so. ::gasp:: I know, I know. However, my voyage off of clean eating only reaffirmed what I know. Clean eating is the best way to go for my mind and body. The times I did eat "chemicals", I became constipated, I had headaches and I gained weight. I felt lethargic the majority of the time. My taste buds had changed. Even in the past month, I noticed a difference in the eating habits as well. No I did not go run off to the nearest Wendys. I did maintain the majority of my clean eating habits. I just had a cookie here or there, a latte flavored with syrup here and there. Definitely not good for my body. This week I got right back on board with my 100% clean eating policy. No cheating here or there. It just isn't worth it for me. The withdrawals from the "added sugar here or there" is definitely noticeable. My body is already eliminating the junk food and its only been two days!

What I did do over the past month or so is continue to educate myself about food and what goes in it. Read this blog post for some of the articles I've been reading. www.100daysofrealfood.com I also found a local CSA. It is a farm in Riverhead that does drop offs all over Long Island. Garden of Eve A drop off for me is in Sayville.  I will be getting half shares of vegetables, fruit and eggs. This just means I will get getting produce every other week rather then weekly. Being that I am only feeding two of us, I thought this would be a good way to go. Hopefully it is enough. If I really wanted to be bold, I would just go to Riverhead and order my meat there too. It is expensive however worth it in my eyes. I'm not sure if I want to go that far yet as this will be my first year being a shareholder. I am are putting in my order next month. I will have completed one of my goals for the year which is to participate in a CSA. Also, if I like this place, they also have winter shares. (yippee!) I do also have another local farm in Islip that I will be popping over to every now and then. Next stop is to check out my local fish markets and butchers.

What have you been up to the past month?



"Surfing is the most blissful experience you can have on this planet, a taste of heaven"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya