Gemelli with Sweet Sausage and Spinach



This is a recipe that I found from the "Food and Wine Magazine 2004" Edition. It's very tasty and different from my regular pasta with my sauces. If you find the ingredients that are considered clean and good for you, this meal is quick and easy to make. My boyfriend and I weren't quite sure what to have for dinner. We tossed around some ideas. I knew I had the sausage in the freeze. He started thinking peppers and onions to go with the sausage. I love that meal as well but I knew I didn't have all of the ingredients. (Peppers are not in season!) However, I did have spinach and pasta around. I pulled the sausage out, defrosted it and made dinner. It's a bit spicy but you don't have to put the red pepper flakes in it if you don't want to.



Gemelli with Sweet Sausage and Spinach
3/4 lb of gemelli or penne (this particular night, I used penne, as always 100% whole wheat)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, quarted length wise and thinly sliced crossed wise.
1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed (I was able to find sausage with no nitrates or chemicals)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
1/2 pint grape tomatoes (I didn't put tomatoes in as we didn't have them but it tastes fabulous either way)
salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions




1. In large pot, boil water. Add pasta and cook until al dente. drain, leaving one cup of water on the side




2. In large deep skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering




3. Add onion and cook over moderate high heat stirring until softened. (about 4 to 5 minutes). Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Cook while breaking up the meat for about 5 minutes. Add spinach, tomatoes and cook until soften. (About 3 minutes)




4. Add pasta and reserved water. Cook lightly crushing the tomatoes until heated. In two minutes season with salt. Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with cheese and serve.




"For those searching for something more than just the norm. We lay it all down, including what others call sanity, for just a few moments on waves larger than life. We do this because we know there is still something greater than all of us. Something that inspires us spiritually. We start going down hill, when we stop taking risks."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Care

Carrot Souffle Recipe

Roasted Winter Vegetable Vegetarian Jambalaya